Friday, October 20, 2006

On Hair

I had my hair cut last week. It was the first time I've paid for such a service for at least four or five years. Not only was this experience a change from my monetary habits, my hair was cut to about shoulder-length (meaning 1/2 to 2/3rds of it was removed) and dried straight.

I love how my hair feels and behaves when it is straight and although there are many ways that it looks good when left to dry curly, when I have time I am planning on keeping it straight. I like variety so this arrangement actually should work out well (as long as I have time...).

Something that this haircut showed me was the difference a little bit of work can make on one's appearance. Although I am not planning on becoming a 'glam-queen' any time soon, I think this haircut will be an inducement for me to spend a little more effort on that aspect of my appearance.

What I have just said about spending more time on my appearance may sound shallow and vain but I truly believe that our outward appearance is important and certain care is beneficial in a number of ways. No one appreciates frumpiness and although so much emphasis is put on the outward appearance in our culture, a reaction to the other extreme is also wrong.

I find that when I take care of my outward self, I am more inclined both to reach out to others and to take care of my inner self. It reminds me of the way that I study better when my room is tidy and clean; I've tried leaving cleaning until I have more time (and sometimes this is neccessary) but in the long haul, keeping things relaitvely clean is the best option. So presenting a decent, pleasant appearance, I believe, helps in our duty as witnesses of Christ.

No comments: