Tuesday, January 09, 2007

VicLit

The way it works out I will be studying Victorian literature in two separate classes this term but I couldn't be happier about it! I love this period of writing--especially since I am a fan of the novel (and more particularly of the Victorian novel). To me, reading a Victorian novel does not constitute work. Yes, they're quite long (being paid per word often does that to writers) but they're so good. I've put the assigned reading for those two classes in the list on the sidebar as well as at the end of this post for all to view with envy. Not only do I get to read these books again (there are only three I havn't read before) but I get to study them in their historical contexts, I get to link them through various ideas and concepts... I'm really looking forward to this aspect of my studies.

I hope to put some of my thoughts and conclusions from those studies in here so hopefully the list will help people to follow along--it's fairly close to the order in which they are to be read (but I really put it there to brag, there's no doubt about that).

Assigned Victorian Novels
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
Hard Times - Charles Dickens
North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Lady Audley's Secret - Mary Elizabeth Braddon
Middlemarch - George Eliot
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - R.L. Stevenson
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

No comments: