Thursday, April 05, 2007

inconvenient love

I've been indulging in a little Trollope as a treat. One thing I have noticed is that now, even with this being reading for pleasure, I am still reading it as if for class. It is a good habit and makes for rich reading but it surprised me at first.

The aspect I have enjoy the most about Trollope is his characterization. This extract is describing how one of the women in the novel responded to finding herself in unrequited love.
In herself she regarded this passion of hers as a healthy man regards the loss of a leg or an arm. it is a great nuisance, a loss that maims the whole life, - a misfortune to be much regretted. But because a leg is gone, everything is not gone. A man with a wooden leg may stump about through much action, and may enjoy the keenest pleasures of humanity. he has his eyes left to him, and his ears, and his intellect. He will not break his heart for the loss of that leg.

No comments: