Monday, April 07, 2008

someone to love

My brother accused me of cynicism the other day. Perhaps I am tending more in that direction as I age but I am in good company as Elizabeth Bennet says: "the more I see of the world the more I am dissatisfied with it" so what can I say?

This following is a video of the Fountains of Wayne (the band that is probably best known for "Stacy's Mom") song "Someone to Love". There are many reasons that I love this video. I am a fan of the band (also for many reasons) because I love the way that their songs usually tell stories, the way that they pump out consistently great melodies and catchy rhythms etc, I like that they have a song with "Janice" in the title (there aren't that many out there!), that they aren't hugely popular but have a decent following and I like the fact that they wrote the song "That Thing You Do" for he equally great movie of that title. I also enjoy the video because it features Demetri who plays Demetri (they're so good with finding original names!) in the last episode of The Flight of the Conchords (you know, the one who joins with Bret in the 'Original Flight of the Conchords' and plays the keytar...good fun). The video stays true to the style of Fountains of Wayne and I would say even improves a bit on the story it illustrates (and is that not the point of a music video?).

I inserted the first paragraph into this post because of the ending of the video (which I enjoy thoroughly. I think it makes the video). In a way it's cynical but it also sheds light on the reason they cannot find love. but then I don't want to give too much away so I'll leave it at that.
Enjoy!

No comments: