Sunday, February 17, 2013

Walters

Lately Logan has been calling Walter 'Walters'. I wasn't sure if he was just confusing the genative with the nominative case but then I've noticed him adding an 's' to the end of several other words. These might in their turn be explained as a confusion of the possessive or plural form except that one of these words is 'kitchens' and I know of no house or time in which we could speak of there being more than one. It reminds me of Mr Collins' words: "I say 'staircases' because there are several, and each - in its way - very fine!" But this is all to say that he has not picked up the final 's' from hearing us use it so it has me wondering why this has developed. I'm sure there is some linguistic explanation. In any case it's pretty cute and I doubt it will in any way impede his linguistic development or relationship with his brother so I'll just enjoy it while it's here and remember it when it's gone.

No comments: