Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Our Vile Bodies

I have read several good articles recently about various topics of interest to women. Aside from the general nature of the articles the topics were dissimilar. However, I noticed a general tendency in all towards affirmation of the beauty of a woman's body despite the messages society bombards us with about what we should look like to be happy. I think I have my parents and wonderful friends/community and finally my husband to thank in large part that I hardly relate to feeling the need to conform to such ideas. I don't mean to say that I have never wished for a more beautiful face or body or bemoaned the fact that I was awkward-looking. I spent my share of time in the mirror trying to see at what angle my cheeks would look less chubby. But I never remember - however high or low I figured myself on the scale of outward beauty - taking that impression as reflective of or the source of my worth as a human being. I had no idea how much I had to be thankful for that! I still don't have a perfect attitude towards my body keeping in mind the balance of its fallen nature with a chance for redemption but at least I don't feel as though I have too much other baggage to lay down before working on a proper attitude about it.

No comments: