Thursday, March 08, 2007

Brother Sky


This week I have been cultivating another fictional-character-crush, this time on Sky Masterson. I went to see Guys and Dolls with my Grandma and some of her friends on Monday and since I had extra time last night, I curled up and enjoyed the classic movie version of the same with Brando and Sinatra as the male leads.

Ahh, I'm afraid that the first guy that sings to me may just win me. Interestingly, in the stage version we saw, Sky does end up in the mission helping out (seemingly enjoying himself, too). This little detail may have been the big factor in the development of my present condition since I couldn't fall for a gambler but a reformed gambler is a different thing.

I'm sure at one point (which I'll underline the next time I read the book) Anne (of Green Gables) says something along the lines of it's no fun loving someone who is hopelessly good; that it's much better to know that they could be wicked yet chose not to be. I agree with her in this.

Does it not even get down to the core of the gospel? Christ came here and was tempted in all ways yet without sin. The possibility had to be there because He is fully man as well as fully God. We, of course, are tempted and are with sin but God's grace makes us more than conquerors over the sin and enables us to live as dead to the world.

I don't mean to draw too close a comparison between the gospel and Sky but I do believe that through this idea it's easier to understand why slightly wild characters who reform are appealing. Sky ends up working in the mission but we can see even before this that he was a cut above most of the others in a way: he knew the Bible back to front and didn't take advantage of Sarah in Havana. So he was already part way there when they first sang the duet.

Of course I do not wish to promote conversion-dating and I can see the many problems that a relationship such as that one would have but I think that it's the idea behind the character (and the wonderful singing!) that draws me. But if this still doesn't convinve you that I should have such a crush, I'll just say that crushes are irrational to begin with and I shouldn't have to defend myself rationally!

No comments: