Friday, March 23, 2007

The Creative Process


I had a great conversation this morning over a Baglewich from Rooster's (my weekly indulgence) about many things. What I want to concentrate on in here is the aspect of writing as a creative process.

As we were biting into that mound of greasy goodness we were talking (yes, with our mouths full) about what it means to live for God in every detail and aspect of our day to day lives. When the topic of writing came up (essay season is upon us again) I was thinking along the lines of doing one's job to God's glory thinking more of the general position we hold as students than the specific work we do but my friend had a deeper insight than that. She was saying that by writing essays and creating something new, we are imitators of God and thus in that act we are living out part of what it means to be made in His image. I had never thought about it that way before but it adds so much to my notion of the creative process.

I have always loved creating or being creative but I hadn't thought much about from whence that impulse had its issue. It is amazing that we, as created beings, are imitators of our Creator and are able, in turn, to create on our own. What a gift and privilege He has given us in this! I find so much joy in making things beautiful. That's why I love photography. Taking various aspects of myself and creating something pleasing is my one of the joys of forming this blog. The impulse to create is why, as a girl, I started reams of stories (building them around my own little worlds that, in a sense, I was creating by writing about them).

I could go on about many things that are creative that I enjoy but the point is that by remembering that we are sharing in one of God's acts (even when we are slogging through another essay) might help to make us more engaged in our work and do a better job (and thus bring more glory to God). What an excellent spur to write good essays (and I needed one!).

No comments: