Thursday, March 01, 2007

pointy pokes

As the day approaches for the beginning of the missions trip, I have had several people ask me if I'm worried about raising enough money in time. The question was unexpected at first (now I'm accustomed to answering it) but I have answered every time in the negative (explaining why I'm not) and gone on to other aspects of the issue at hand.

I don't think that I have picked up any of that worry simply by the suggestion in their questions. I honestly believe that I have no anxiety about that aspect (didn't think that was an area that required work) and yet God, in His providence, sent me two specific passages in the Bible in my devotion schedule today that apply comfort to this issue (especially when the passages are considered together). It was such an awesome feeling to realize how directly He spoke to me and my situation today, yet I know that He always speaks through His word.

The reality is, that it took a very pointed poke for me to wake up and listen. Yes, Leviticus can be tedious at times but
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: -II Timothy 3:16
and I need to start living out that truth. I need to be reminded that the Bible is God's words! That truth is one that has become so close to me that I have lost sight of it.
I truly enjoy my time of devotions (a step forward from those years when I first started to implement them and struggled along with my 'this is my duty' attitude, but that's another line of thought) but there was a time (not that long ago) when every word was a comfort and became precious to me. I was much closer to the picture of the hart in Psalm 42 then. Since finding the brooks I suppose you could say I have slaked that immediate need and find myself wandering again.

So perhaps my main lesson from these two passages is not so much to help my anxiety over money matters but to remind me that I need to listen if I am to grow at all in my relationship with Him (communication is key in all relationships; earthly and heavenly!).

I suppose after all that I should share the two passages (or the few verses in each passage) that jumped out at me today. The first was Leviticus 25:20-22:
And if ye shall say, What shall we eat the seventh year? behold, we shall not sow, nor gather in our increase: Then I will command my blessing upon you in the sixth year, and it shall bring forth fruit for three years. And ye shall sow the eighth year, and eat yet of old fruit until the ninth year; until her fruits come in ye shall eat of the old store.
I suppose I should provide some background and context (this is going to take longer than I thought!): In the passage the rules for the observation of the jubilee year are being set out and God is anticipating their worries and obstacles by telling them that He is providing enough ahead of time to cover all their needs. The background of my situation is that I am observing this year as a partial jubilee year (my exact reasons for this are even more extensive so I shall leave them out) and the missions trip is part of how I am applying the jubilee idea to my life. I have expenses but the Lord has so blessed me that I have no immediate need of money and even a surplus (that I had planned on using for such a trip as this).

The other portion of the passage is Mark 10:24-27:
And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.
What jumped out were the first and last verses. Even though I am not worried about the money situation, is that because I trust God to provide (actually it's closer to God having already provided) or because I can see the figure in my bank account? Am I truly asking God to sustain me through everything or am I simply giving Him lip service as I look to more tangible supports?

Anyway those are just a few of the avenues of interest that I found in comparing these passages to my situation. God is so amazing! His word is power and His timing is perfect! Praise His name!

No comments: