Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Gaskell

Having just written an 'update on my life' post, after a long silence sporadically broken with pictures, I realize that I havn't written a quote post in a while either so here goes (while I'm here and have time I might as well get as many as I can posted). Here are some quotes from North and South that I came across while atempting to clean up my papers from school. Yes, that means that my desk, after months of neglect is starting to be sorted out (doesn't mean that it looks any tidier yet, in fact it's probably worse but it's getting there--have to destroy the old before building the new). I read, studied and wrote on this book and highly enjoyed getting to know it better. Elizabeth Gaskell's writing is true to life's nity-gritty and yet makes it beautiful. So here are a few quotes drawn from the book:
The cloud never comes in that quarter of the horizon from which we watch for it.

If the world was full of perplexing problems she would trust, and only ask to see the one step needful for the hour.

As she realized what might have been she grew to be thankful for what was.

...books, not cared for on account of their binding solely, lay on the table, as if recently put down.

Tyrants make liars.

"He is my first olive: let me make a face while I swallow."
(said by the leading lady about the leading man before... well, I'm sure you get the picture)

No comments: