Sunday, April 14, 2013

teething and train-ing

Walter's about four-and-a-half months old now. I can't believe how quickly the time is flying. He is still quite large for his age but he's never been flabby-chunky - just solid-chunky - and he's always been pretty active and strong. I put him in the jolly-jumper the other day and he loved it. At this point he's more interested in the fact that he is held upright and can wiggle than any coordinated effort at bouncing but he's getting there. I noticed that he likes waving one arm to rock himself in his little bouncy chair. He still sucks his thumb fairly regularly but not to a worrying extent. It's cute and sometimes helps him to calm himself so I can't say I am against it! Also he's been showing a lot of signs of teething for a while now so we'll see how quickly he gets his first teeth. He has been interested in watching us eat and has quite frequently looked as though he wanted to participate. I'm sure I could start him on solids any time now but I feel as though he's getting quite adequate nutrition already and why go bother getting more food ready earlier than I have to when it's simpler as it is. I did let him take a few sips of (boiled) water from a cup the other day and he loved it! Most dribbled down his chin but I'm more interested in his enjoying the process than worried about adequate fluids. He's great at hand-to-mouth coordination and tried to hold the glass himself but that'll come with time! Logan's doing really well with talking. He's not quite at the point of chatting away but at home he talks quite a bit and can communicate most of what he wishes to say so I'm pretty happy that we've got this far. He's also doing extremely well with the potty. He only wears diapers to bed these days (and for the past three nights he's been dry in the morning but I'm not going to push things). He's been really great at letting me know when he needs to go when we're out places (although it meant we missed the Eulogy at Nana's funeral). For a couple weeks around Nana's passing there were a few problems with accidents and also some bumps in the bedtime routine but we're basically back to normal now. We got a second-hand wooden train-set just over a week ago and it has been a great toy! I unwittingly started a tradition when, one of the first times we were playing it together, we got to the end of part of the track with the train and I said "Wait a second! Where's the track?". So now when Logan wishes me to assemble track or play with him he puts one piece down and says, "Wait a second!" and looks at me. The phrase is also repeated from time to time as we're playing and he thinks it's just as hilarious the last as the first time!

No comments: