Friday, August 23, 2013

Boys' update (at 2 3/4 yrs, and 9 months)

It's been some time since I've written about what milestones the boys are passing so here goes. Although he keeps pretty quiet when we're out or around people he isn't as comfortable with, Logan enjoys telling me all sorts of stories about various aspects of life. We're finally starting to leave the stage where I have to repeat everything he says before he believes that I really understand so it's a little easier to listen to all the stories. For some reason when he tells these stories or even sometimes in conversation his face scrunches up. It is so hard not to laugh but I believe he does it when he's trying to emphasize the importance of what he's saying so it would be quite ill-advised to laugh at him in these moments. Also I have a sneaky suspicion that I am the one he learned it from so shouldn't be laughing at it, I suppose. He's concerned to be a 'good boy' mostly because that is the requirement before he gets the privilege of watching some shows on youtube or playing a video game for a bit. But as long as he isn't tired I do find that he tries to do the right thing most of the time. He is still slim-built but I think once he's back into wearing pants this Fall I'll find he's grown a lot taller (even if not an inch broader). He and Walter have the same waist size so there have been a couple incidents in which Logan picks out a pair of Walter's trousers to wear and they fit fine except on him as capris. He loves making Walter laugh (sometimes by doing things he shouldn't) and is generally good at sharing although there have been a bunch of times I've caught him taking toys out of Walter's hands. He's over all a good brother and I'm pretty sure he loves his little brother. Walter's been trying out every way he can to get around these days. Because our apartment is pretty small he hasn't had to crawl to get to anything he wants so he has been more interested in pulling up on things (much more interesting stuff on a higher level around here). He has been able to pull himself up to standing for a few weeks now and has quickly learned how to take steps along things and from one place to another. He started his crawling attempts by leaning forward into almost the crawling position from a sitting position and then when he reached whatever he was going for he would tip back to sitting to chew on it. It seemed at first that he couldn't quite get fully on his knees to crawl (he always had one leg stuck in the sitting position but twisted against the other) but I quickly learned that this is exactly how he wanted to be positioned because it meant he could get back to sitting easily. If anyone tried to 'help' him get the traditional crawling posture by unhooking his leg for him he would become most upset. Now he has been moving along the floor in a crawl of sorts but he keeps one of his feet flat on the floor while the other leg is in the proper kneeling position. It seems to work for him for now. I think he may modify it when speed and distance become more desirable but we'll see, I suppose. One last note on his posture, when he is sitting it seems he always must cross his feet. Not sure why but it sure is cute! He has also been busy cutting three top teeth at once. I don't think I've ever seen gums as swollen (not that I have seen an extensive variety of new teeth) and he has NOT wanted me to touch the gums at all these past few days. Although he really hasn't been drooling much at all. He has been a little fussy these past few days. When you combine massive amounts of teething with repeated not always successful attempts at walking and crawling you end up with a frequently frustrated fussbudget. One thing that does make him happy these day (as it has his whole life) is food. He seems to devour pretty much anything we put in front of him. He growled at me for some steak the other night... There was a little while where he became bored with the plain cereal but he seems to like it when I mix it with porridge or other mashed foods. He really likes food he can pick up himself (including whatever drops from his brother's plate onto the floor) and is pretty well coordinated with getting tiny bits of things into his mouth. Above all else, though, he's extremely happy and quite the character. I have been so blessed with and by both of them!

No comments: