Monday, August 12, 2013

Family matters

I can't believe how much of the summer has passed already! It seems as though this summer we have done quite a bit and kept busy with fun low-key activities and family get-togethers. But at the same time a lot of this summer has passed in anticipation bordering on dread over a couple family-related things that have needed to be done but were quite unpleasant (and should have been completely unnecessary). I know that I have been over this before but I think that it is interesting to explore the reasons behind which aspects of my life I make public and which I generally don't talk about. There is a virtue in being open but some things I don't feel are mine to publish. A horrendous rift in James' family has affected us deeply on several levels and to pretend that nothing is happening would be hiding things but I still haven't figured out which, if any, of the details are right to share. Even with my closest friends and family I had said nothing about it for almost a year until things finally got to a point where it became necessary for an explanation of sorts. But then it almost felt as though I had been trying to hide something from them for that year so I still haven't figured out if I had done the right thing when I kept quiet about it. So there has been a lot of pain this summer but we have chosen to enjoy what we have right here right now and that has been a wonderful experience. We've been so blessed with other aspects of our family and lives and have been in a mindset truly to enjoy them! It's been a difficult summer in some ways but a wonderful one in others. I suppose that's about par for the course in life.

No comments: