Monday, August 19, 2013

Pics or it didn't happen

In our ever-increasingly documented lives I sometimes wonder what this'll mean for how we hold memories. I should think this post out and organize it along a discernable thought-line but I just don't have the time right now and if I put off writing about it I will forget the thought in the first place so here goes. As may be quite apparent, I am guilty of sticking a camera in my children's faces on a daily (hourly, sometimes) basis. Over all I don't feel as though this is a bad thing but there have been a few qualms I have felt here and there. I partially take pictures of my boys because photography of a loved subject is part of how I express myself artistically. This is good for me but how does it affect the subjects themselves? I have two viewpoints on this: the first came through an encouraging note from a childhood friend. She said some of the pictures reminded her of what she loved about her childhood and that the boys will likely be thankful to have the pictures when they are older. I love this idea and readily agree with the flattering viewpoint. However, I also have had a few conversations about two different families we knew growing up in which the parents would avidly document the children's every moment and accomplishment. These children are now adults themselves and I remember (in a slightly judgey way) thinking how the children in one of the two families seemed not to be self-conscious or spotlight-seeking but it could not be said of the other family. Of course there are many more factors at play than whether they were familiar with looking down the lens of a camera. At the risk of making this even more scattered than it will already be, I also think about how my own memory is affected by the photographs of my childhood. I sometimes get the feeling that some of my memories are not only coloured by the pictures of the events but also shaped completely. It may not be a bad thing, though. If I remember about a particular birthday party because I am used to seeing the few pictures from it, is it not better than having no memories of it at all? A topic that interests me is the connection of the decline of a powerful memory with the rise of the written word. I know this is likely over-reacting to the increase of documentation to wonder if our children will retain memories at all or if they will simply rely on pictures and videos from the past. But there is likely some connection. Of course memory on its own is far from infallible, as has been demonstrated time and again by greater pens than this... All these disparate while connected thoughts were prompted by an episode this morning when my elder boy sneezed and the younger laughed. After a few fake sneezes and much enjoyment, my older one asked if we could put it on facebook. Except I hadn't been filming the exchange. I do try to capture some of the more charming moments of their lives and interactions and I do usually post the short clips for adoring relatives (and friends) to view if they feel so inclined. However, I hadn't realized the extent to which my boy had come to expect this. Also I'm a little unsettled that he recognized a potential Kodak moment and expected it to be captured. I hope that when he is aware of me posting pictures and videos for loved ones to view he is also aware that it is in the spirit of sharing rather than that of showing off. I have known kids to say "Look at me, I'm so cute! Take a picture of this!" and have shuddered. Heaven forbid mine should ever do likewise! I try so hard to pass on the right attitude about things to my kids but just hope that I am not sending mixed messages simply because I love taking pictures. Seriously, do I need this many pictures of the same moment? Of course I do!

No comments: