Thursday, June 08, 2006

growing

As it looks like rain, my thoughts turn to my gardens. I love gardening for many reasons but one of the parts that I enjoy most about gardening is the anticipation of what everything will look like in a few years.
Not that they don't look nice already but there is always at least one thing that I have just started, or something that was set back, divided, transplanted, sat upon by a friendly dog (the list goes on) about which I'll think: "it'll look better in a few years".
I am posting some pictures that were taken around this time last year and it is interesting (to me)to see how this year some things are doing much better and some things are not doing as well.
I would suggest that an interesting parallel can be drawn between the growth of a garden and the growth of a soul. Maybe not everyone can relate to what I'm talking about regarding plants, but every soul has had experiences of both set backs and growing beyond expectations (often both at the same time!). We can truly joy in the Lord through set backs when we keep our focus on the long-term.



My "bit of earth"



A beautiful yellow Columbine my best friend gave to me several years ago.



Lupins (one plant that greatly exceeeded expectations last year but is not doing as well this year!)

No comments: