Monday, June 26, 2006

Pictures

I love taking pictures. I enjoy finding just the right angle and lighting to make something ordinary look extraodinary.

I took some of our gardens and assorted livestock this afternoon after a morning of working around the property. When we looked at them afterwards, my mom remarked "that's our garden?" It certainly looks beautiful in the pictures (I may post some when they're sent to me).

It's funny how they say a camera doesn't lie, yet something can look so much better in a picture than it does in real life. I think it is because a picture can exclude certain unsightly parts and focus on the good parts and because it only captures one short moment in time -- it can be easy to make something look good for a short time.

It makes me think of how we can so easily put on a good show for those who only see us outside our home: just as people who only see the beautiful pictures of our garden, they see only the good, showy points. But people who see the real thing, every day, see the weeds, the bug-eaten leaves, the plant that is not going to make it; it is our family and close friends that see our less-than-perfect points.

On another thought-line, do I treat people as well as I take pictures? Do I focus in on their good points and ignore not-so-good points so that the impression that I bring away (and perhaps show others) is beautiful? Not to say that I should be gullible and trust & think well of everyone out there but specifically in my relationships what do I focus on?

No comments: