Tuesday, August 15, 2006

de profundus

I have read a couple books over the past week or so. Generally I devour books but these just didn't seem to sit right. The books that I read are about (and most likely by) smart men who are searching for truth in the world yet tragically (as the song says) "looking for love [truth/the Savior] in all the wrong places".

I suppose I have a tendency to imagine that everyone is as I am. I do have non-christian friends but we don't often tread as intimately as these books do within the intricacies of their inner being! My friends seem happy, so do I. They have some troubles, so do I. We seem to be on a fairly even surface with a few differences of opinion about points of morality. It is hard for me to understand to what depths a soul without real hope can go.

In the books it was the hopelessness the characters felt that struck me the most. Because of this I felt none of the usual comradeship with the characters. Yet both these books are highly acclaimed so the pictures they portray cannot strike untrue among the critics.

It served as a sobering reminder of how blessed we are and how, because of this, we ought to show our hope in Christ to the hopeless world we are surrounded by.

No comments: