Wednesday, August 02, 2006

flirting

I am so thankful that God, through my circumstances and my parents' & church's teachings, guarded my ways while growing up. When I think of all the things I could have done and think of my level of maturity (or lack thereof) at the time I realize that it is only by God's grace (and maybe my chicken heart!) that my feet were kept from straying too far. This applies to all areas of life but I read a poem recently that (once you get past the language to the meaning) speaks to young women throughout the ages about maidenly virtue. Note that it was written by a woman too!

The Resolve
Whilst thirst of praise, and vain desire of fame,
In every age, is every woman's aim;
With courtship pleased, of silly toasters proud;
Fond of a train, and happy in a crowd;
On each poor fool bestowing some kind glance;
Each conquest owing to some loose advance;
Whilst vain coquets affect to be pursued,
And think they're virtuous, if not grossly lewd;
Let this great maxim be my virtue's guide:
In part she is to blame, who has been tried,
He comes too near, that comes to be denied.

-Lady Mary Wortley Montagu

No comments: