Thursday, August 31, 2006

little flowers

I love little delicate flowers.

The problem with them in most gardens is that they often get lost around showier blooms. But this doesn't daunt me: their exquisit faces are more beautiful for having to be searched out. The thrill of discovery of finding a little double poppy among the rudbekia is worth the exposure to mosquitoes (who also love to hide beneath the shade of taller plants).

I used to be the type who would never pick a flower. "It took enough to get one, so I'm not going to pick it" was my philosophy. But over time I'm coming to realise that I have to spend more time indoors and don't have the opportunity to spend hours enjoying these hidden blooms in different parts of my garden. so now I'm coming to the place where I don't mind picking my flowers. I am better at keeping those that I do pick (thanks to left-over flower food & lots of practice from all those bought bouquets!) and can enjoy a riot of colour brought indoors (in a mosquito-less environment).

I would still prefer to spend hours outside enjoying the blooms but I do enjoy arranging and bringing in the beauty. I find also that picking little flowers and highlighting them in little vases is especially rewarding since it puts them in the spotlight and shows their true sweetness & beauty at eye level.


A little vase with a double poppy, campanula, rose campion, alyssum & lavender graces the livingroom.

No comments: