Friday, September 21, 2007

on socks


I am not really what you would call a girly girl. I think my own personality coupled with my being raised with three brothers worked against that tendency. I revel in my tomboyishness most of the time... But then there are feminine aspects that occasionally raise themselves. In such situations I generally feel compelled to embrace these tendencies.

Take socks for instance. Most of my life I have worn sports and work socks from similar bulk packages to what my brothers get. This has a practical reason: I use these socks for work and sports. It was not until the past year that I decided to buy some socks from the girls' section for the times I wasn't working or playing sports. Imagine my delight when I discovered that I could take something as prosaic as socks and let them be beautiful :) abundance of colour, soft materials, fun patterns... It was fun to wear non-work socks! Mind you, I just noticed that all the socks I chose are striped (generally considered the only appropriate male pattern for linen) but they are striped in yellows and pinks and blues. And I happen to prefer stripes over other patterns.

So this autumn, as I mourn the loss of my barefootedness in my retreat from the cold, I have some comfort in the excitement of finding a drawer with pretty socks (as well as normal ones) waiting to be worn.

No comments: