Wednesday, October 17, 2007

a diverting assembly of Grubs

More from Smollett:
'A man may be very entertaining and instructive upon paper, (said he) and exceedingly dull in common discourse. I have observed, that those who shine most in private company, are but secondary stars in the constellation of genius--A small stock of ideas is more easily managed, and sooner displayed, than a great quantity crowded together. There is very seldom any thing extraordinary in the appearance and address of a good writer; whereas a dull author generally distinguishes himself by some oddity or extravagance. For this reason, I fancy, that an assembly of Grubs must be very diverting'


In that case, I guess I must be excessivly diverting in private company.
Or perhaps it is not an either or thing in that the possibility remains that I a dull in both spheres.

No comments: