Monday, October 08, 2007

Quotes from Clinker

The book I was able to read part of over the weekend (while prevented from spending more time outdoors) is The Expedition of Humphrey Clinker by Tobias Smollett. I have been delighted by this book and start to realize that the reason I took on this English degree was so that I could read just such books as this. While reading it for other purposes, I was still able to glean a few quotes that I might as well share now (as I'll probably forget to if I wait).
In short, we live in a vile world of fraud and sophistication; so that I know nothing of equal value with the genuine friendship of a sensible man; a rare jewel! which I cannot help thinking myself in possession of, while I reapeat the old declaration, that I am, as usual, Dear Lewis, Your affectionate, M.B.
Not only is this a great quote but also illustrates something that, from the moment of my first encounter with it, I have always wished to emulate: the way that he ends his letter by tying it into his closing addresses. Capital in the extreme!
The truth is, his disposition and mine, which, like oil and vinegar, repelled one another at first, have now begun to mix by dint of being beat up together.

He has read a great deal; but without method or judgement, and digested nothing.
(This I merely inserted because I had been carrying on just such a conversation about the state of the school systems and how they ill-prepare their students with what they read and study when I had read this passage.)
He was scarce warm in the lodgings when he called for his nightcap, his wide shoes, and flannel; and declared himself invested with the gout in his right foot; though, I believe, it had as yet reached no farther than his imagination.

I am finding this book a delightful read. Ah, English Literature. I guess I wasn't crazy after all.

No comments: