Monday, March 09, 2009

books and architecture

Several of the blogs that I occasionally will check consist mainly of lists of acquired books and reviews of the same books once read. I always enjoy reading such posts but have not previously thought too much of writing posts in like manner. But now I do feel like emulating those whom I admire so will start things off with a review of a book I just finished reading. The Architecture of Happiness by Alain de Botton first caught my eye because it was in the bargain book section but I was quickly intrigued because a quick perusal of the cover and snatches of the contents brought me to believe that he was dealing with issues of which I would wish to know more. For some time as I was growing up my dream was to pursue architecture. I was not interested in the architecture of big commercial buildings but rather of that of private houses. I knew that there were things about some houses that made them homes and that were missing or only poorly imitated in other houses and I wanted to remedy this. Eventually I realized that I would need to study more math than was at that time palatable and I gave up this dream but I continued in my fascination with things pertaining to well and poorly designed houses.

Alain de Botton addresses this exact issue (the question of whether architecture can make the difference between a house and a home) in the book as well as addressing other issues about which I have been interested in contemplating. He takes us on a tour through the changes of the ideal of beauty through history both in art and architecture (these two are, of course, closely linked), discusses why certain ages are likely to be drawn more to certain particular aspects of aesthetics than to others, he demonstrates how we have a tendency to attribute human qualities to inanimate objects and how because we are used to discerning and interpreting body language and expressions through the reading of minuscule variations of line and contour, we naturally (and for the most part unconsciously) derive different feelings from variations in lines and contours of our buildings or furniture or even drink ware. Throughout his discussion he goes into great detail of description to illustrate his point and at each description there is a corresponding photograph (or usually, set of photographs) so that the reader can follow along and feel the difference. That he takes the time to do this makes a lot of sense because much of his argument deals with one's reaction and feeling on seeing the building or object and in order to follow along with the argument the reader should see for himself.

I enjoyed this book thoroughly and would recommend it even to those who may not have as keen an interest in architecture as I. There are so many interesting issues raised in this book that it is sure to fall along the lines of at least one area of interest for most people. And what is more human than the making comfortable of one's abode? I didn't find answers to all the questions I have on this topic but there was certainly a lot for contemplation and I almost feel as though I would like to re-read it and lift a few of the quotes from it. One aspect of it that I had to adjust myself to is that it is not written as a direct essay with thesis and conclusion but rather it brings up ideas and plays with them. The parts outlining the history of architectural thought were, obviously, more linear but once I grew accustomed to the style of writing I began to be quite enamoured with it. I am now interested in finding out and reading more of his books if possible.

No comments: