Saturday, November 12, 2011

first steps

Our little guy has been pulling himself from hand-hold to hand-hold for several months now and walking when his hands are held but he has taken a while to venture out on his own. This touch of timidity (perhaps tinged with laziness or comfort in old habits) has been fine with me because it means I know the exact extent of his reach for the few moments I cannot keep both eyes on him. I can trust that if I leave him holding onto the chair he will not be any further than the couch at the opposite end of the room by the time I come back. But all that is about to fly out the window because he took his first few independent steps yesterday. At present he still reverts to the easy way most of the time but more and more (even within the past few hours) I have found him venturing beyond his earlier comfort zone. These are interesting times...
Walking with his walking stick (perhaps it's a bit too pointy for safety. Might have to fix that. Hmm).

No comments: