Friday, November 23, 2007

leafen caves

I often like to imagine the world in miniature. When I was little I loved sandboxes and making GIJoes places to play out of Mom's houseplants and various other objects. I guess I haven't grown up much since then. Unfortunately I just don't have as much time now to indulge myself. That's one good thing about hanging out with little people, they make good excuses to dabble in the delights of imagination without feeling foolish. A couple days ago I was waiting for the bus and saw these leaf-caves under the hedge and had to capture a few of my favourites. The owners seemed to be out so I didn't get to have them pose by their houses (they seem to be quite the early risers) but I've labelled the pictures with whose home is who's for those who are not blessed with their acquaintance.
This is the home of Pip and Elvira. It's their first home so a mite on the small side but they're quite glad to have found a proper leaf before the snow fell and now they're happy and snug in the fitting up of this small paradise.
This more imposing entrance leads to Mr Fizzlewort's impressive home. He is quite proud of it and was out for quite some time finding the perfect leaf for the entrance to his abode. It is perhaps on the dark side but that helps him when he takes his afternoon nap.
This one is not actually a proper home but is the new summerhouse in the Pomfotters' backyard. I thought the line of the eaves was quite pretty against the snow. They are quite looking forward to getting quite a bit of use out of it next summer since it was only finished about a month before the snow flew.
This golden leaf is the entrance to the home of the mayor, Mr Goldstem. I do fear that he has put too much thought into the outer appearance of his house and it might be a tad uncomfortable inside. But perhaps he wishes to warm it with his wit.
Finally here is an aerial picture of one section of Leafton. The caves are placed close both for shared warmth and for the greater ease of visiting through the long winter months. Eventually the residents will have to dig tunnels through the snow from entrance to entrance. But thankfully when they have accomplished this they generally do not have to do much more the rest of the season (excluding the cleanup of cave-ins).

No comments: