Friday, November 16, 2007

Spiceless girls

The more I see of the world the more I am dissatisfied with it
These words of Elizabeth Bennet to me represent the way that I associate a certain type of cynicism with levels of sophistication and maturity.

I do have friends who are certainly mature in other ways but who lack this characteristic. I feel they should be called Janeites to continue with the P&P theme. Even though they may (and often are) my elders, I feel quite superior in many ways as Elizabeth clearly is to Jane. To use a trite analogy, it is as though they are lacking in the spice department.

Don't get me wrong, I do like these people (I did call them friends) and they often inspire me to be a better person but I have a sneaky feeling that they would be tedious as long-term companions. It is lovely indeed that they always have something positive to say of everyone and it follows that they would never say a thing bad about you, either, but I do believe that I am actually quite comfortable to let my friends gossip about me behind my back if, in return, I get to hear all the juicy bits from them.

And so the spirit of The Council of Introverts lives on.

No comments: