Wednesday, July 05, 2006

gingersnaps

It is a rare cool day in the midst of summer's heat. Because of this and because of a likewise rare block of spare time, my thoughts turn to baking.

I enjoy baking more than cooking. I believe that it is mainly because I enjoy sweets more than savouries. I also have had much more practice baking since in my family my Mom would make supper and, if I felt like contributing, I would supply a dessert. So it is that I get excited about the thought of baking cookies yet am far from that sentiment when I look ahead to a time when I may have to cook at least one meal every day. But since there is no use in borrowing trouble, I will simply enjoy the time I have now when I can bake when I have the time and the only cooking I really do is with my man (which tends to make it a more enjoyable enterprise).

So if I have the time today I think that I shall bake some gingersnaps. Here is our much-used recipe gleaned from Mom's friend Michelle:

Michelle's gingersnaps
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. shortening
1 egg (put in measuring cup before the molasses)
4 tbsp. (1/4 c.) molasses
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. each cloves & cinnamon (I even add extra cloves)
2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
extra sugar (to roll cookies in)

Cream sugar, shortening, egg. Add molasses. Sift together flour, soda, spices & salt. Roll into balls, roll in sugar. Bake @ 350 (F) for 8-12 minutes (watch for burning since they contain molasses). Yields aprox 3 dozen.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Janice said...

asap. It's half done in a Word file. Thank you for your continuing patience.

-management