Thursday, July 20, 2006

Millions of peaches

Gma and I have been enjoying lovely ripe peaches for the past few days. Every peach I have taken from the basket has been as near to perfect as a peach can get: juicy, tender, sweet, with not a spot or blemish in sight. At supper last night I commented along these lines to Gma and she thought it might have something to do with these peaches having been bought at the very start of the season.

I had never connected the two before but as she said it, I realized that early crops are usually better. I did know that the first cut of hay is usually better quality. It makes sense. At first fruiting, the plant is overflowing with vitality and gives its best to the fruit.

Something else I hadn't connected until this discussion was that this better crop is the first fruits that we are to give to the Lord! I had only thought the idea of giving Him first fruits had to do with being so eager to give that we do not put off the offering. But if we think of our first fruits as not only the first but the best, it intensifies the standard.

No comments: