Wednesday, July 19, 2006

In His Courts

I like Psalm 84; I was happy to read it today as part of my devotions. One thing that struck me this time through was the flow between verses ten & eleven; I realized that I had never viewed them as building one off the other.
For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

When verse eleven talks of "no good thing will he withhold" my mind has always had a tendency to think of it refering to my list of 'good things' or things that I would really like to have. But the context of what is good is set in the preceding verse.

Long life is indisputably a blessing yet to be in the courts of our God for one day out-balances ten times the length of days anyone can expect to live! When I saw that, the next verse took on a different meaning than I had seen previously. This means that if we are looking merely for temporal blessings we are underachieving! God had promised us eternal life in His Kingdom. Not one day, not a thousand days, but forever! How does that match up against time on earth?

May we learn to align our schedule and priorities with Christ that we may long for time in His courts!

No comments: