Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Cabbages and things

Dull grey leaves. Nothing fancy.
In the phrase "cabbages and kings" the role of the cabbage is to represent the lowest portion of society (the opposite end of kings on the spectrum). This humble plant gets little fanfare (unless from healthy gourmands). But take this same dull grey leaf and let the light shine through it and it produces such depth of colour.
I have often thought of the many spiritual lessons to be observed through gardening but this is the first time I thought of this facet. The transformation from a nothing to a thing of beauty for this cabbage leaf depends entirely on letting the light shine through it. The light is the transformation.
Utter beauty.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I just came across your blog from your Facebook page! Janice, I love it1 You are an amazing writer, I've gone back and read quite a bit. Keep writing and posting such beautiful pictures!

Mary xxx