Friday, June 08, 2007

after the fact

I spent some time today researching some of the things we went to see while travelling and now that I have some time and distance, I think the facts are finally sticking. It all makes more sense now in any case. I think one of the factors is that I am able to read about it and see what the names actually look like (there's something about combining oral and visual learning for reinforcing lessons and I know it works) but also when I read about the different people and places, they are presented in a logical, linear fashion that makes sense to me and provides a structure in which I can place all the little facts I learned in order.

On the other side of the issue, having seen the actual places gives me much more interest in the history and incentive to remember.

In an ideal world I probably would have researched like this before going but (I tell myself) I wouldn't have know where to start and what lines of study to follow up.

This trip and subsequent learning of history has further inspired me (not that I needed further inspiration) to travel more, in particular to travel to England where much of what I am interested in and studying in school took place. I think my studies would be enriched immensely were I to take a trip there. I guess I need to convince someone to sponsor me now... Anyone?

No comments: