Wednesday, June 20, 2007

suffocating venom

I have been reading Molecules of Emotion by Candace B. Pert, PhD. It is an interesting and informative book and, so far, has almost made me interested in going into sciences! I know it's hard to believe but there you have it. Perhaps, though, I should stick to reading about the sciences (I'm good at reading in any case).

One paragraph (that has little to do with the actual topic in the book but is present merely to explain a different point) caught my interest and I shall quote it here:
...In higher animals, the cobra's venom acts by entering a victim's body and diffusing to the acetylcoline receptors, including those on the diaphragm muscles, which regulate breathing. The venom blocks the access of natural acetycholine to its receptors. Since acetycholine is the neurotransmitter that's responsible for muscle contraction, the resulting paralysis of the diaphragm muscles causes death by suffocation.

So then both cobras and boa constrictors essentially have similar means of finishing off their victims, only the cobra does not have to try very hard.

No comments: